Advantages of SEO for Wedding Photographers
Are you running a photographer business or a wedding that is looking to get consistent leads and customers?
Do you want to have more photography assignments REGULARLY every single week?
Are you posting or boosting in Facebook almost every single day you in your beautiful Facebook page and still get very disappointing results?
I have a piece of great news for you!
Provided you are a running a photography business, let me show you some basic steps to use Google and ranked in Google Singapore so that you can have about 20-40 enquiries every week!
(By the way, you know it really works, because somehow you managed to Google and reach this page! LOL)
BTW, just to introduce myself, my name is Dougles Chan, I have been doing SEO for over 15 years and one of my focus client is wedding videography and also wedding photography. One of my wedding videography clients is Forte Visual and they are ranked number 3 in the keyword “actual day wedding videography” in Google.com! Not too bad, considered it is in .com, not .com.sg.
Before we begin, I would like to share a SECRET, and this is very important….
Most photography business owners DO NOT DO SEO. Many used traditional and referral marketing to get leads and clients.
So what is so great about this?
Let me explain, please read it carefully. It will make a HUGE difference in where your photography business will land.
80% of the photography business or photographer DO not do SEO, either they do not know, they do not believe, they have no time or simply they are not able to afford the cost of SEO, it can easily take about $8,000-$15,000 a year to outsource SEO to someone like myself.
The 20% of the photography business owner who does SEO, 80% of them will not generate the results they are looking for, reasons are that likely hood, they used the wrong methods of doing SEO, outsource to the wrong SEO consultant or they failed to take into account the marketing and branding process for SEO, there are other reasons why a SEO campaign will not work, I will cover them in another topic.
So averagely only 4% of the photographer business really make money from SEO
Step 1: Choosing your website platform
It is important to be careful on what platform you are using to publish your website, some of the common ones are WIX, Weebly, WordPress, HTML or even adobe.
My recommendation is that when possible, stick to Wordpress. Wordpress is the most user-friendly for Google SEO and is the most popular publishing platform.
If you choose the wrong platform, and if you are competing with other photography business or another photographers in Singapore, your ranking likely will not outrank them, when you are not above your competitors, your enquiries send to your mobile phone or email will get lesser.
Step 2: Choosing the Focus
Here is a tricky situation, I notice many of the photography company or photographers are doing the same thing, they put many services in their website, not only they do wedding photography service, they also do corporate photography service, product photography , wedding photography service and even photo booth!
And yes, those creative ones will add other services such as event organizing, wedding planner, catering……You get my point…
But to be very honest, this is not the best way to do things. Here are 2 directions I can share with you:
- Google loves websites that has only 1 focus, the better the ranking it will get. But you will argue, I am doing wedding what…..no no, hear me out, I need you to be laser focus, throw away everything else. If you are doing event photography , just focus on event photography ONLY and Google would love to rank your website higher because it will please the users who are searching for anything that relates to wedding photography. That is the reason why my website www.dougleschan.com focus on one thing only – SEO, nothing else…LOL and Google loves it…. and that is how you get to this page and read this information, anyways lets move on.
- From the customer point of view, if you are the lady that is going to get married, do you want to get a photography that specialized in photography or someone that is the jack of all trade, someone that is also doing corporate photography service, product photography , etc…The lady would love to have the best wedding moments captured by the expert, the specialist, not someone who knows everything…. seriously~~
Step 3: Your Website Content
I know you would love to showcase all your videos on your website but mind you. SEO is still very much in TEXT based, yes, there are images and videos too, not saying that videos are BAD but I will cover how to use video on step 4.
Many of the Google searches is in TEXT based, hence, make sure your photography website is filled with a good number of relevant text.
When I mentioned relevant text, meaning that whatever “keywords” you are focusing on.
If you are focusing on the keyword – wedding photography, make sure the word “Wedding photography” is inside the content, at least 2-5 times in different places. it can be in any “order”, not a big issue.
If you can put the text on other pages, that will be good too.
If you are choosing more than 5 to 10 keywords above, then it gets a little complex, but anyhow, see below on how you should do the text layout.
Example of how it to write your text on your website
Title: Best photographer in Singapore (Correct)
Title: Best photographer Singapore (Wrong), the grammar does not make sense, so write for the users to read, not for the Google robot to crawl.
Title: Wedding photographer Singapore (Wrong), it does not make sense at all. Even though plenty of SEO expert said you should put the entire EXACT keyword on the content.
Step 4: Upload Your Videos
Yes, you will also need to upload some of the videos you have done for other wedding couples and showcase your ability, choose the best few and put them in the HOME page of the website.
Upload another few in another page of your website so that you have many touch point to the viewers, good for SEO too.
Remember to add about 100 – 200 words of text per video.
Here is a tricky question, should you upload your website to Youtube and embedded them in your website or directly upload in your photography website?
Things to consider:
When you upload to youtube:
- Additional exposure, if your video is popular, and if you do create a backlink to your website, it will benefit your website in terms of ranking
- Loading time will be lesser (Good for SEO)
- You are making Google happy because you use Youtube (Google bought over Youtube)
- The video may lead to other competitor videos via youtube
- Youtube may terminate your account or delete your videos if there are many complaints
When you upload to your own hosting:
- It takes some time to load, not too good user experience.
- It will take up space for your hosting if you have a small budget for hosting, not recommend
- Complete ownership
- Not easy for competitors to upload your proprietorial videos
Well, there are no fixed rule saying which method is the best, it will be very much up to your own preferences.
Step 4: Promote Your Wedding photography Website
Here is the toughest part, you need to promote your website to many platforms, such as Facebook, Linkedin, emails, SMS, whatapps…..and build some backlinks by yourself or outsource the entire process to a third party. It may take a few months of the promoting activities to make your website see some lights and start to get enquires, usually, when any photography company asks me to help their SEO, I will tell them will take about 3-6 months to see anything interesting.
Promote your website regularly but not spamming, it will help in the organic growth of your photography website rankings.
Cheers and good luck in your SEO thing!